Wednesday, January 30, 2013

HP Printer on HP Windows 8 Furstration

We had bought an HP desktop computer with windows 7 a few months ago.
Using the Microsoft upgrade offer we upgraded to Windows 8 for something like $15.

Then we found the HP scanner/printer driver needed to be re-installed (among some other things).

So we got the latest driver for the printer from the HP website.
Unfortunately the driver kept telling us that there was a registry key missing, and forced us to re-boot.
After re-boot, it did the same thing again.

So I added the registry key as it described it, which made it go further, but in the end it said it failed, and when I told it to continue, it undid everything it had done.

ARGH!

After a few re-tries, I had an idea. I ran the install again until it said it failed, but before I let it continue to undo everything it had done, I opened up task manager and killed the install program.  Interestingly the spinning disk didn't go away, so I re-booted (after making sure there was nothing left in the Run registry key or my startup folder to make the install program run again).

After re-boot, the printer appeared as healthy in the printer and devices control panel applet (I was able to print a test page), and the HP solutions app works for scanning! Whew!

Boo to HP for the faulty driver install program and all the bloatware in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment